You probably get a lot of questions from real estate clients about what home warranties are and the advantages of having coverage. Interested clients may also ask you how home warranties work, especially when a covered breakdown occurs and they need service. While plans can differ, here’s some general information about the American Home Shield® Real Estate Home Warranty process:
- Through their real estate professional, home buyers and sellers can receive special real estate pricing for AHS® Real Estate Home Service Plans, available up to 60 days after transaction closing.
- Real estate clients can choose from three different home warranty packages to select the type of coverage they need, along with any optional coverage items.
- Once a home warranty agreement is in effect, clients can request service for any covered item that breaks down due to normal wear and tear.
- When a covered breakdown occurs, homeowners are encouraged to check their home warranty agreement to verify that the affected item is covered.
- If the item is covered, homeowners can contact and submit a service request to AHS 24/7, 365 days a year by visiting ahs.com, or by calling the toll-free customer service line at 800 776 4663.
- A Trade Service Call Fee will be paid using a payment source on file for each contractor specialty (such as a plumber or electrician) needed to diagnose or repair the covered issue. This fee is typically less than standard service rates.
- A service contractor is then assigned to assess the covered breakdown, and the homeowner receives an email confirmation. The service contractor will call during regular business hours to schedule an appointment time.
- The contractor will diagnose the problem and contact AHS to determine coverage. Once coverage is confirmed, the contractor will repair or replace the covered item.
- After any covered service, homeowners will receive a follow-up email or phone call from AHS to confirm that the problem was resolved to the client’s satisfaction.
In addition to important budget protection for covered items, home warranties can serve as a reliable resource for repair help, saving your clients time and frustration when unexpected breakdowns happen.