• Use fans to circulate the air and assist drying.
• Use dehumidifiers if available.
• Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting.
• Wipe furniture dry.
• Lift draperies off carpet, loop through a coat hanger, and place the hanger on the drapery rod.
• Prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying and place small wood blocks or aluminum foil under furniture legs.
• Remove wet area rugs or other floor coverings.
• Open furniture drawers, closet doors and luggage to enhance drying.
• Move photos, paintings and art objects to a safe, dry location.
• Remove wet fabrics and dry them as soon as possible. Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
• Do not remove damp books from shelves. Leave tight to prevent pages from rippling.
• Control interior temperatures with heat or air conditioning. Keep interior temperatures between 70 and 80 degrees.
Important warnings on water damage:
• Do not use an ordinary household vacuum to remove water.
• Do not use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or wet floors.
• Do not go into rooms with standing water if the electricity is still on.
• Do not lift tacked down carpet without professional help.
Should you need water, fire, wind or other restoration services, the professionals at ServiceMaster Restore are ready to respond 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Call us today 1-800-RESPOND or click here to get started.