Most home fire related deaths occur at night and are caused by smoke inhalation, not the flames. That’s why it’s vital that you install smoke detectors on every floor of the house and outside of each bedroom. Test them once a month, and be sure to change the batteries at every daylight savings time change. Remember, that annoying beep that goes off when you burn the toast, could save your life.
Just about all fires in the home start small. A portable multi-purpose home fire extinguisher can help you put out a fire in a frying pan or a wastebasket before it gets out of control. Make sure that your home has a fire extinguisher in or near the kitchen and the garage or workroom if you have one. Check it periodically to see if it needs to be recharged or replaced, and be sure to read the manual so you know how to use it.
Carbon monoxide detectors.
Carbon monoxide is a deadly, colorless and odorless gas that can be caused by faulty home heating equipment or appliances. Protect your family from this silent killer by installing a carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home near sleeping areas, including the basement and any attached garage. Remember to test them regularly and replace the batteries as needed.
First aid kit.
Having a well-stocked first aid kit is essential for treating minor injuries at home. A typical kit should contain adhesive bandages, gauze, tape, pain reliever, tweezers, scissors, antiseptic wipes, ointment and other supplies to nurse cuts, bumps and bruises. Always keep it in an easily accessible place so you can get to it quickly in case of an emergency.