Real estate professionals play a unique role in the community and are in a great position to get more involved with charitable and community-based service organizations. Not only does it feel wonderful to work for a worthy cause, but it is also a great way to network with people who share a passion for the community where you live and work. Here’s how to make the most of it.
They say one of the best things you can do for yourself is to do something for someone else. That is especially true if you are a real estate professional doing a service project in your community. It feels good, it relieves stress and infuses you with positivity. As a real estate professional, you have a unique role in the community. You come in and out of the lives of so many residents. The more relationships you have, the broader your business becomes. The more your community pulls together, the stronger the community becomes. It’s a win all around. It is also good to associate your name with causes you believe in.
Network with people who share your passion for your community
Charitable projects are a great bonding experience for people who want to improve their community. Serving this cause speaks volumes about your belief in your community being a great place to live. Plus, it gives you something else to talk about other than business.
What you can do: Find creative ways to leverage your philanthropic role in the community.
Looking for your next charitable activity? In addition to volunteering for an established organization such as the local Rotary Club chapter, here are some ideas that have worked well for other real estate professionals.
1. The quality of the schools in any community is an important benefit to local families. Why not support the local schools and teachers by organizing a school supply donation drive? It’s a great way to attract people to your office.
2. Do the furry citizens in your community have a place in your heart? Organize a donation drive for pet supplies for a local animal shelter or organize a donation drive for their medical needs.
3. A great way to support or partner with local businesses-—organize a charitable gathering at a local restaurant with proceeds benefitting your charity of choice. Add a table of silent auction prizes donated by other local businesses. Come up with a catchy name, i.e. “Brunch for Books” supports a local library, “Happy Hour to Support Happy Kids” provides scholarships to a local Arts Camp or an After-School Program.
4. Sponsor a walk or run for a cause, such as for cancer awareness or a local children’s hospital. Be sure to include donation opportunities for people who don’t attend the race.
5. Tie into the home theme by serving on the board of a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen.
6. Tie with the moving theme by co-sponsoring a charitable garage sale or rummage sale. Sometimes these are organized by a local church or community center. You can mention it on your marketing materials and they can mention you on theirs.
7. Offer to donate a portion of your commission to your favorite local cause, whether that might be an animal shelter or a program for kids with disabilities. This is a great way to differentiate yourself and create awareness on social media. This is a successful technique for some realtors in creating buzz and helps encourage referrals.
8. Find a cause that benefits your business AND your community directly—historic preservation, walkable communities, affordable housing or sustainable economies.
What it can do for you: Supporting a deserving cause can also support your business.
While your main goal is likely to help a great cause, there are added benefits for your business to consider, too, including the following:
1. Networking with other people involved in the charitable effort helps build your sphere of influence. This is especially important for newer realtors just starting to build their customer base.
2. Building awareness, especially on social media. Supporting a charitable cause helps your business brand and your personal brand stand for something.
3. Having the ability to support local causes reinforces your business success. People like to work with successful people.
4. Having a philanthropic presence strengthens your community ties.
5. More and more, younger people are involved in activism — and they are the next generation of homebuyers.
Choose the charitable option that suits you best and enjoy the good that comes of it.