- Drain and flush sediment from tank twice a year.
- Check pressure-relief valve once a year to make sure this crucial safety device is not clogged.
Water Heater Quick Fixes
Problem: There is no hot water.
- Check the pilot light and carefully relight if out.
- Make sure the gas controls are completely turned on. Then, check and be sure it is firmly connected to the gas control unit and positioned near the pilot flame.
- Check the thermocouple and replace if necessary.
- Check the fuse box/circuit breaker. If the heater repeatedly blows fuses, call an electrician.
- Push the reset button. Test the heating thermostats and elements.
- Call a qualified professional.
Problem: There is not enough hot water.
- Turn the thermostat to a higher temperature.
- Insulate the hot water pipes.
- Have a qualified professional install a larger heater.