Make It Safe to Show, Even in Snow
Winter storms and extreme cold can arrive quickly, leaving a property in unsafe condition for showing, especially if the seller isn’t home to maintain it. Be prepared to keep your clients safe when going to a showing by stocking your trunk with a property emergency kit and by taking some precautions.
You’ll need these items:
- A small snow shovel to clear paths or to get your car out of parking space on the street
- Rock salt to melt icy walkways and steps
- Sand or kitty litter to help with traction on ice
- A flashlight if it’s dark or if the exterior lighting is dim
- Deicer in case the main door lock is frozen
- An extra pair of gloves
Of course, the best way to make sure conditions are safe for showing is to view the property ahead of time. Familiarize yourself with where everything is. Even if it snows, you’ll know exactly where to find the things you need.
- Locate the lockbox the day before in case it becomes covered with snow
- Check your cell phone reception in the neighborhood
- Encourage showing during daylight hours
- Keep your radio turned to NOAA Weather Radio to get the latest weather updates
American Home Shield is providing the information for general guidance only. Due to the general nature of the property maintenance and improvement advice in this material, neither American Home Shield Corporation, nor its licensed subsidiaries assumes any responsibility for any loss or damage which may be suffered by the use of this information.
Realty Trivia Challenge
What cool and highly unusual hotel must be totally rebuilt each year?
A. Sweden’s ICEHOTEL
B. Wyoming’s Snow King Hotel
C. Alaska’s North Pole Hotel
Get Your Wheels Ready for Winter
If you live in an area where freezing temperatures and icy roads are common in winter, you owe it to yourself and your clients to ensure your car is prepared to handle the conditions.
Get the Most Value from Home Remodeling
Prospective buyers typically look for updates to bathrooms and kitchens in a home, but there are other important home renovations your sellers should know about too.