Easy Basement Decluttering Strategies
The basement is one of the largest storage areas in a home and—no surprise—often the most cluttered. Before you jump into a chaotic cleanup, follow these tips to make the project easier.
- Break the project into smaller steps. Devote a set amount of time to clearing up one area at a time.
- Divide the clutter. Set out three boxes: one for items to keep, one for items to sell, one for donations. Also, grab a large can for trash.
- Make a separate pile for anything you don’t love, don’t use or haven’t worn in a year.
- Line up garbage bags and moisture-proof storage boxes for items like photo albums and other valuables.
- Create storage by installing shelves and cupboards. Try repurposing old furniture, like dressers, for storage.
- Sort through your sentimental items last. You’ll spend the most time looking through keepsakes.
American Home Shield is providing the information for general guidance only. Due to the general nature of the property maintenance and improvement advice in this material, neither American Home Shield Corporation, nor its licensed subsidiaries assumes any responsibility for any loss or damage which may be suffered by the use of this information.
Homeowner Trivia Challenge
Which common household material is primarily made of mineral gypsum?
C. Floor Tile
Energy Efficiency Tips
You don’t need to be a professional to learn where your home is losing energy. A careful walk-through can help you find the energy-zapping areas in your home and help you prioritize where you need to make efficiency upgrades.