Bottled Water vs. Water Filters: Pros & Cons
Convenience. Bottled water delivery ensures that you will always have a fresh supply when you need it.
Bottled Water (for a home dispenser)
- Convenience. Bottled water delivery ensures that you will always have a fresh supply when you need it.
- Taste. Most bottled water is filtered to remove contaminants, and many brands add trace minerals to enhance taste.
- Sustainability. The 5-gallon bottles most services use are reused again and again. However, delivery trucks do have some environmental impact.
- Cost. Before you subscribe to a water delivery service, run the numbers. It might be cheaper to buy your own 5-gallon bottles and refill at the grocery store.
- Quality. Though results vary by brand and filter type, most high-quality filters do a good job of removing common contaminants.
- Convenience. Many water filter cartridges are available online, and some manufacturers offer subscription services to ensure that you’ve always got a fresh filter when you need one.
- Sustainability. Filters are far less wasteful than single-serving disposable water bottles, and there are no delivery trucks to generate emissions like with water delivery. Many manufacturers offer filter recycling programs, some with drop-off locations in grocery stores. Contact your water filter manufacturer for more information.
- Inconsistency. Filter performance diminishes with use and as it does, water quality and taste can diminish as well.
- Frequent filter changes. If you are using well water or if you have very hard water, high iron or other water quality issues, you may need to change the filter more frequently to get the best quality. Not all filters remove all contaminants. If the water quality in your area is particularly poor, some filters may not be up to the task.
DISCLAIMER: American Home Shield is in no way affiliated with, connected, representing, associated, or sponsored by any product or company mentioned. Companies and all products pertaining to that company are trademarks of that company. Please contact that company for trademark and copyright information.
American Home Shield is providing the information for general guidance only. Due to the general nature of the property maintenance and improvement advice in this material, neither American Home Shield Corporation, nor its licensed subsidiaries assumes any responsibility for any loss or damage which may be suffered by the use of this information.
Go It Alone or Hire a Pro? Hanging a TV Mount
Professional TV mount installation can cost $100 or more, depending on the extent of the service provided. For most handy homeowners, it’s not much more difficult than hanging shelving.
Home Matters: Washing Machine Maintenance
Does your washing machine “walk?” Learn how to fix it, plus get other handy tips to keep it functioning properly in this month’s video.
Understanding Alternative Energy Technology
In recent years, new energy technologies designed to reduce reliance on fossil fuels have gained popularity. If you’ve been wondering whether a solar system is right for your home, or if you’re curious about other energy innovations like geothermal systems, here’s an introduction to the various alternatives available.