Electrical Repair & Maintenance
- To help prevent power outages, make sure there are not too many appliances plugged into one circuit.
- Regularly use self-test button on ground fault circuit interrupters/arc to ensure proper working order.
- Before working with wires or electrical connections, check them with a voltage tester to be sure they are dead.
- Use ground fault circuit interrupter outlets where damp conditions exist (basements, bathrooms, outdoors, etc.), as required by the National Electric Code.
- Leave a warning message that you are working on the circuit at the service panel, and tape the circuit breaker in the off position. With a fuse box, take the fuse out.
- Plumbing and gas pipes are often used to ground electrical systems. Never touch them while working with electricity.
- Don't use metal ladders with overhead electricity.
Electrical System Quick Fixes
Problem: No electricity to an outlet.
- Check circuit breaker box.
- Try plugging in another item to that outlet.
- Check all other outlets.
- Call a qualified professional.